Independent surrogacy matching is quite common in the surrogacy community. If you are looking into how to become a surrogate mother, or are looking to find a surrogate mother, and are not interested in hiring surrogacy agencies to assist with surrogacy issues, matching independently might be the right option for you.
For many intended parents, going through a surrogate agency to find a traditional or gestational surrogate mother might prove to be too expensive.
Intended parents pay for so much in surrogacy, from lawyers and court costs to IVF clinics and medications, that when you add in the cost of surrogacy agencies just to find a surrogate, they may feel that surrogacy is not a financial option to start a family.
But the truth is, a surrogate agency is not a mandatory part of the surrogacy process.
Intended parents and potential surrogate mothers looking into how to become a surrogate might choose independent surrogacy rather than going through surrogacy agencies.
What is independent surrogacy?
An independent match is a surrogacy match where the intended parents and the surrogate mother choose to find each other through an avenue other than an agency.
This can be through past relationships such as family and friends, through word of mouth, through an online message board, or even through a surrogacy attorney.
Consider independent matching if you:
- Cannot afford an agency
- Already have a surrogacy match
- Are using a relative or friend as a surrogate mother
- Have been through a surrogacy journey before
- Have done extensive research on surrogacy
- Are doing a sibling project
- Would prefer not to have a third party arrange things
- Feel comfortable finding your own match
Independent surrogacy is generally free, and can take quite a bit of money off the cost of a surrogacy. Many surrogate mothers and intended parents will match through an agency for a first surrogate journey, but may decide to do a sibling project without going through the agency.
Be careful, as some agencies have rules against this written into their contracts.
Independent arrangements are very good options for a number of surrogates and intended parents.
- Visit our Surrogacy Classified Ads Board
- List of Recommended Surrogacy Agencies
- International Surrogacy Agency
- About Surrogacy Agencies
- Pros and Cons to Working with Agencies
- Pros and Cons to Independent Matches
- Finding an Independent Match